The wait is over! The MEGA book sale will start tomorrow and Friday. We will be selling ALL books for .25 cents! Make sure you bring in your loose change tomorrow and Friday! Great books for building your home library!
I hope everyone had a relaxing summer vacation and is excited to return to school. We have been working hard over the summer to add some new items to each campus and wanted to share some of the changes with everyone. We are pleased to announce that SFE (Southwest Foodservice Excellence) became the new food service management partner at Dearborn Schools on July 1, 2019. As a result of this partnership, we are pleased to announce the following changes:
- All meat served district-wide will be certified halal. More information is available on the foodservice website.
- All meals district-wide will continue to be free.
- We pledge a focus on fresh-from-scratch cooking and menu variety.
- Fresh fruit and vegetable salad bars will be available daily at lunch. While this will be free for students who purchase a meal, salad bar access also will be available as an a la carte option.
- Full nutritional information is posted for all menu items on the Dearborn Schools website .
- The Roving Chef program is available. This fun and interactive culinary program will provide principal-selected students with special instruction in nutrition, proper food safety/cooking techniques and healthy meal preparation—all while working alongside a real chef.
- A variety of entrées will be offered daily to appeal to student tastes and preferences, with on-trend culinary concepts that including recipes from a variety of cuisines.
- A selection of 3 entrée choices will be offered daily for Elementary students, consisting of the menu items listed above. Middle Schools will have 4-6 options and High School students will be offered 6-8 options daily.
- A dedicated team of professionals including chefs and nutrition coordinators will be in Dearborn daily working with staff and students.
Along the way, we plan to request frequent feedback from our students through regular taste tests and panels. That’s because we are dedicated to creating custom menus and programs that get every student excited to eat at school, knowing they will find nutritious foods that they love. Above all, like you, we want to be sure that they are happy, healthy and well-nourished to learn.
We welcome feedback from you, as well! If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sr. General Manager of Nutrition Services
Congratulations Amal Hamade from Mrs. Gartha’s 5th grade and Angela Hassoun from Miss. Mosed’s 4th grade! The girls won the Meemic Masterpiece Art Contest! They were 2 out of 50 total winners from 4 different states!
Monday’s Word of the Day is determination. Determination means wanting to do something really badly and not giving up.
Tuesday’s Did you know? The money we raise for Pennies for Patients will help fund research? In medicine, research means the careful study of a disease with the goal of finding a cure.
Wednesday’s Thought of the Day: Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction.” -John F. Kennedy
Thursday’s random act of the kindness: goes to Gamilah from Miss. Hespen’s class. Gamilah wrote encouraging notes to 5th graders. She wished them luck on MTSEP testing.
Friday’s Joke of the Day: What school contest did the skunk win? The smelling bee.
Oakman Gear for Sale!
We are selling Oakman short sleeve shirts (cotton or performance). Our new shirts will have the Students First logo! You can choose the color you would like your shirt. Pick from green, red, pink, black, blue, navy, maroon.
We are also selling Oakman hats!
Due date is Thursday April, 18th!
By: The Ecology Club
Thank you so much! The Ecology Club and the generous Oakman students managed to remove 50 pounds of trash from the oceans by raising $1000 to purchase fifty 4 Ocean bracelets! What an impact you made on our world! Thank you!
Please view the following link:
Monday’s Word of the Day is spectacular. Spectacular means beautiful in a dramatic and eye-catching way. The view was spectacular!
Tuesday’s Did you know? Today is National let’s laugh day. Studies have shown that laughter may boost your immune system, relieve tension and help you relax.
Wednesday’s Thought of the Day: One kind word can change someone’s entire day.
Thursday’s random act of the kindness: goes to Abeer Saleh from Ms. Elward’s class. Abeer picked up a jacket off the floor and hung it. Also, Nafaa Taher helped keep the gym clean after the concert.
Friday’s Joke of the Day: Why did the student have a flashlight in his lunch box? He wanted a light snack!