Home of the Owls
August 25, 2010
I hope this letter finds you and your loved ones in good health and spirits. As we approach the beginning of the 2010 – 2011 school year I would like to take a moment and review a few procedures assuring a safe and smooth start to the new school year.
- September 7, 2010 school begins promptly at 8:40 a.m. and will be dismissed 11:45 a.m. Students should plan on arriving 10 minutes early to verify classroom assignments.
- Class rosters will be posted at the entrances near the southwest playground. Staff will be assisting children in identifying their assigned teacher with the exception of kindergarten.
- Students will meet the teacher at their assigned area (yellow line) identifiable by room number.
- Students will be escorted to the classroom by the teacher. Parents please refrain from entering the building at this time, with the exception of kindergarten parents.
- We ask all kindergarten students be escorted to and picked up from the classroom by the parent(s). Kindergarten parents will be asked to use door #4 to enter and exit the school during kindergarten drop off and pick-up.
- Students will bring home informational packets containing emergency cards, lunch application, insurance documents and other relevant information, please take time to review and completely fill out necessary documents. Documents need to be returned to your child’s teacher no later than Friday – September 17, 2010.
- We are asking parents to remain outside the building as students will be escorted outside by their teacher, this will be less confusing and easier for both students and parents. I strongly recommend parents designate a common meeting place to pick up their child.
- Consistent and timely attendance to school is of the utmost importance and considerably enhances your child’s educational experience. If possible avoid removing students from the classroom during the school day. When this is inevitable make sure to sign out student in the office prior to exiting the building.
- First bell rings at 8:35 a.m.; teachers will escort students to class and instruction begins at 8:40 a.m. Children entering school after 8:45 a.m. must be accompanied by a parent and sign-in at the main office. Students will not be allowed to enter class without a parent signature.
- If your child is unable to attend school please contact the school office at (313) 827 – 6500. When calling, parents should give the following information: student and teacher name, grade, reason for and length of absence.
- If a child must leave school early or arrive late parents must come into the school office and sign their child into or out of school.
- When the student returns to school, it is his or her responsibility to check with teachers for missed work. If a student will be absent for more than two days please contact the teacher to make arrangements for homework to be picked up from the office. Homework will be ready for pick up the following school day by 3p.m.
- All Visitors must check into the office upon entering the school NO Exceptions!
- Elementary age children require a minimum of ten hours of sleep per day; it’s a good idea to begin sending the little ones to bed a little earlier this week so they may acclimate to earlier bedtimes.
- Make sure students eat a healthy fortified breakfast before coming to school each and everyday.
- Review the importance of regularly washing their hands using soap and water throughout the school day i.e. before and after lunch and during bathroom breaks.
- If children are ill please keep them home.
- Children requiring medication throughout the school day are required to have a completed Medical Authorization Form on file in the office. At no time are children allowed to self administer or dispense medication during the school day.
- Gym clothes should be washed regularly.
- Students must dress appropriately in a manner that is not distracting or disruptive to the learning process and weather suitable.
- Skirts, shorts, and skorts must come to the tip of the longest finger in a natural stance.
- Writing-logos are not permitted across the seat of a students garment. Mutilated clothing (cut, torn, written on etc.) safety pins as decorations, chains, writing on clothing or skin is not permitted.
- No outerwear (jackets, coats, hats, bandanas, etc) may be worn in classes; however, some hats or scarves required for religious reasons are permitted. No jerseys may be worn unless accompanied by a t-shirt underneath it. No tank tops or sleeveless shirts with the exception of gym class. No spandex or tight fitting clothes. No fishnet or transparent clothing is permitted.
- No undergarment (bras, underwear, boxer shorts, etc.) should be showing, nor should pajamas be worn to school.
- Clothing, jewelry, symbols, or other things denoting gang membership are not permitted. Clothing displaying offensive or inappropriate pictures or writing, which includes but is not limited to topics of sex, tobacco, alcohol and other drugs, is not permitted.
- Flip-flops, slippers or any other shoe wear that does not have a back strap are not permitted. In order to prevent serious injury socks or pantyhose must be worn at all times.
- Makeup is not permitted.
We appreciate your full cooperation with these set standards. Failure to comply with Dearborn Public Schools Dress Policy will result in parents being called and/or student being sent home.
The safety of all citizens is first and foremost. Exercise the following precautionary measures when dropping off or picking up your child.
- Allow adequate travel time and observe the posted speed limit.
- Do not park and/or leave your car unattended in the drop off zone. Do not make U-TURNS in the middle of the street it is illegal and dangerous.
- Make arrangements with your child to pick them up in the same place everyday.
- Encourage your child to use the crosswalk when crossing the street.
- Do not stop in the middle of the street to drop off your child. Please pull all the way over to the right when dropping off your child.
- 9-07-10 School Resumes ½ day All Students
- 9-09-10 No School Ramadan Moubarak
- 9-10-10 No School Ramadan Moubarak
- 9-23-10 Oakman Open House/Parents Meet Oakman Staff
- 10–06–10 Late Start, All students start school one hour later
Oakman’s Professional Learning Community thanks you in advance for your cooperation and looks forward to working as a team, ensuring your child receives the finest education. Please take time to review the following policies and information with your child. Any questions or concerns please call the office.
Dearborn, MI 48126
Oakman Elementary Phone: (313) 827-6500
Fax: (313) 827-6505
Home of the Owls!